Traveling vs. Buying a House: How to Do Both

Traveling vs. Buying a House: How to Do Both

While catching up with friends over the holidays, I mentioned that my latest adventure would be purchasing a house with my husband. This enlightenment instantaneously set off a series of questions fired at me, everything and anything between what I’m giving up, what I’m sacrificing, and what I’ll be missing. I started to look inwards and question myself, and that was not a good feeling.

In no way has my passion and wanderlust been squashed. I didn’t travel to 27 countries without an immense amount of fervor and commitment enabling me to do so. Despite my relationship status I am still an independent woman, (something I like to make abundantly clear . . . just ask my husband). Just because I have decided to call it quits with annoying apartment life does not mean that I have broken and conformed with societal expectations and tossed my independence out the window with my values and passions along with it. Amid countless other reasons, I’m just trying to be successful enough in life to give my dog the backyard he deserves!

It has taken a great deal of compromise on my behalf to be where I am today, even though at first it may have felt like the most difficult of lessons. In my opinion, if I can have both travel and a home to come back to, then that is a win. A win to be celebrated! I never was an advocate of settling down because it is what society expects me to do at this stage in my life, nor have I ever been an advocate of being a permanent nomad. Ever. I made such realizations long ago.

Traveling and seeking adventure is something I will always place value on. But it does not have to be one or the other. You can have both, and that is what I am working towards because that is what works best for me, my relationship, and my precious angel of a dog. I love my dog to pieces and could never bear a life without him! My last trip to California was two weeks in length and I was heartsick missing him so much by the end. I will be so happy for the days of when I can provide him a nice yard to sniff, run, and roam freely to his heart’s content.

Something I have drastically come to realize is how tired I am of comparing myself to others and questioning my life decisions. For me, buying a house isn’t something I’m doing because I’m feeling pressured or obligated but because I feel like we truly deserve it. Since being together, my husband and I have moved five times (to and from different cities), taken risks, and gone out of our comfort zones in attempt to better our lives and attain what we ultimately aspire in life.

No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.
– Lin Yutang

I am happy to report that my husband and I have purchased a house. A place to display my travel photography, a kitchen to cook exotic cuisines, and a familiar pillow to rest my head at night. With my dog and husband at my side . . . until we go away on our next adventure and inevitably miss our pup too much to continue beyond a two week time span.

Even as I write this my dog is next to me, sleeping with his head nestled against my leg. What is a world without him in it? I never want to know.

• I feel you! I must say that I am fortunate enough to have acquired a house long before the travel bug caught me (and long before I got married. LOL), I have no intentions of selling it in the future to travel the world. I love having a place of my own to return to after trips. Of course, our travels are not always long term, so I guess our set-up is just perfect!

Glad to see that you are enjoying your new home, btw. It’s always nice to know that you have a place of your own! :)

• I don’t blame you. There is a travel quote which refers to the joy of coming home. Much as I love travel, I also like having a base and somewhere to come home to. I’m not a permanent traveller nor do I ever intend to be

• Well I’m glad you’ve bought a house and you 3 will be very happy there. You don’t say how old you are ( I’m 51), I’d be interested in that. We own a house in Australia and haven’t lived in it in 5 years, to be honest it’s a millstone and I wish we’d sold it, but life has it’s seasons. It’s your season for home ownership. Enjoy! Then sell it when you’ve had enough :)

• Congrats on buying a house. I dont know if after owning a house for over 10 years now I feel the same joy in home ownership. To me it feels a bit like an anchor holding me down because there is always something to fix or work on. Plus to me, as I get older I crave more freedom and the desire to be nomadic. If i had my way, I would rent out my house and leave to maybe come back whenever someday.
    With that said, Darcee Loves our house. To her she loves the idea of having a home base to come back to after an epic travel adventure. She loves having a nest that holds all of our stuff and memories. I guess it is something of a personality thing

• As a mom of five and a wife to an awesome hubby, I adore our home and lifestyle. But, man does the world pull at my heartstrings. Constant wanderlust. I am always trying to convince the fam to sell the house and become nomadic. So far none of the kiddos are in. Maybe someday.

• Congratulations! I’m glad you have a little haven of your own and I totally agree that we can achieve traveling and having a home at the same time. I feel that although travel gives us a lot of adventure and excitement, it’s after all, a home that makes us feel cosy and peacefu l.

• Your dog must be very happy to have a “fun” yard and congratulations on your purchase!
    Enjoy the new house and at the same time travel around the world, I think it’s not contradictory and definitely, you could do both! :) @ knycx.journeying

• Congrats on your new house. From here on you will enjoy your travels even more. Because the thought that you will return to that familiar pillow gives a huge sense of security. Happy cooking exotic dishes to you! :) I too love doing that.

• Big decisions but you won’t regret it. There are times for everything and you’re helping your dog to live longer too. Being a nomad has certain advantages but the trade offs are considerable. Settling down and getting to know a place deeply is wonderful too.

• Congrats on the house! I often juggle the love of my house with my desire to travel. Renovations and maintaining a house can be expensive and I often grapple with wondering if we made the right decision. Surely, there are benefits for both lifestyles, and it is a matter of compromising while still staying in touch with what keeps you motivated and in sync with your passion.

• I agree completely! My husband and I have been traveling since October of 2016 and sometimes I regret not buying a house before we left. We could have renters and be out adventuring and know that we have a home to come back to. We love to shop along our travels and purchase things for our future house which is silly because who knows when that will be? I commend you for wanting it all and congrats on the new house!

• We are now semi-retired and travelling about 6 months of the year (multiple trips). People always ask us why we keep a place at home. We have come to the conclusion that we are not ready to be completely nomadic. There is something comforting about coming home and being able to totally relax. So I really understand that you can be filled with wanderlust and still want a home. Over time you may question the decision to have a home, but only you will know when you don’t need it anymore.

• Congrats on buying your house! We recently did the same, after 10 years of travel, and I agree, you can definitely have both! I love that you’re buying a house because it’s what you want to do at this stage in your life, and not because of pressure either way. Ultimately there’s no right or wrong way to travel, and the stability we crave at different stages in our life evolves. I travelled full time for a couple of years, and while I wouldn’t give up that time, I’m now really happy that I have a home base, and a place to come home to inbetween trips. Always do what’s right for you, and embrace it – buying a house is definitely not your last adventure in life! :)

• I must felicitate you on buying a new house that can be now called home which you share with your husband. I am sure one needs to sacrifice one for the other. We have been travelling for eons and we have purchased our apartment too (In Mumbai you have to be extremely rich to be able to buy an independent hous) . I have never flt one was getting in the way of the other. It is possible that unknowingly we have contending for our limited financial resource. It was like both must be done, now let us plan :) :)

• First of all congratulations for buying a house. I believe one can travel to relax and unwind but still, the best thing is coming back to your own home and sleeping in your own bed. So, it is always cool to have one permanent base. Moreover, it’s your own independent decision, without any pressure. So, happy travels along with happy cooking.

• Congrats on the house purchase-how exciting! I can definitely understand why you would want to buy a house! I feel like so many people think its house or travel, but I think both are definitely possible too! We live in an apartment still, but we are hoping to buy a house or condo at some point in the near future.

• Woah, congrats on buying a house! I don;t think you have to pick between the two. I myself have never owned a house but I have met many people on the road that are actually able to fund a good part of their travels by renting out there house – either long term or through sites like AirBnB. If nothing else it sounds like your dog is going to be one happy pup now!

• Congrats on such a huge accomplishment. My husband and I are getting to the point that we want to start looking at having a place to come home to, to store our travel memories and call our own. However, we don’t want to give up our love of travel. So you’re an inspiration!

• Congratulations on a huge milestone! This just proves even with a travelling lifestyle you can own a home. As I have been travelling for 5 years now I’m craving a place of my own. I think this year I am going to have a base in Albania and travel in my spare time. Great post and very inspirational!

• I feel ya. I’ve been so torn between getting back on the road long-term versus actually committing to be a grownup in the city I’ve lived for the last five years. I don’t have any aspirations to be a homeowner, but I’ve finally accepted that I probably don’t ever want to lock all my stuff in a storage unit again anytime soon. I totally get that pets make it an easier choice, too — your dog must be so happy to have space! Congrats on the big purchase!

• Congratulations on choosing how you want to live your life. If purchasing a home was what you needed, then good for you. As you mentioned, no need to compare with others, live life on your own terms. Good for you and your familiar pillow!!

• You are lucky to have both options in your life; and testament that it is possible! It is so important to work for what makes us happy, whatever that may be. I can’t imagine settling down and buying a house yet, but when that day comes I will embrace the best of both worlds, just like you!

• Congrats on getting your new house! So proud of you for making both options (traveling and buying a house) work and happy to see that it makes you happy. If there’s a will, there’s a way!