Travel Excuses – Why People Don’t Travel & Why People Should

Travel Excuses – Why People Don’t Travel & Why People Should

Here you have it: the top excuses I’ve heard for people not wanting to travel and what I have to say about them all.

It costs too much

camping-under-the-starsNot as much as everyone thinks. I am nowhere close to feeling financially content and somehow I have had an absolutely amazing trip at least once a year for the past 5 years in a row. When you are as in love and addicted with travel as I am, you make it happen. I slept in a tent for 5 weeks across Western Europe to make it happen. It’s life . . . on the road. You can be as frugal or extravagant as you want. You can even travel to more economical parts of the world like Africa, South America, or Southeast Asia.

I have had numerous people exclaim to me, “How do you have all this money to do all of this traveling?!” Well, I have you fooled. Because I am in no way a money bag. Some people’s money goes towards a house, a wedding, or a child. I have had none of the above. I made my prerogative years ago that I would spend my 20’s having fun, being spontaneous, and always delving in adventure by traveling often. I do not want to be rooted to one place. I don’t like spending money on objects, I would rather spend it on experiences and seeing the world. So when I do spend money on items, I make a big investment emotionally and financially to purchase and acquire them. Guess where my very small wedding ceremony will be? An exotic destination. It would be killing two birds with one stone!

I may get mugged, raped, killed, or taken hostage

Peace-Love-RevolutionIt’s possible. Although, the likelihood that it will happen in a foreign country is about as likely as it could happen in your own town. After traveling to over 20 countries, I can safely tell you that I am more fearful of violence (and pointless violence) in North America than anywhere else. I was chatting with a friend from Japan I met on my recent travels when the Colorado Batman shooting happened and she said to me, “I don’t understand – why does this happen in America? Things like that don’t happen here.” And she’s right – crazy violence is seen more in America. And I wish I could blame it all on the States and their gun laws, but sadly Canada has seen some horrendous violence over the recent years as well. Every country has violence – but to think that America is the safest place is illogical.

It’s irresponsible

People say this because they actually think that there is a right way and a wrong way to live life: people should settle down and have a family, invest in a home, and do what everyone else is doing. Let me ask you this, if you want to finish life and be able to say: “Hey, I lived a responsible life! Man, that was great!” then, well, great. Personally, this just makes remember that there’s more to life than just being responsible.

You are running away from something

Sometimes you do need to distance yourself from your past or your routine in order to clear your head or work through a tough situation. Pondering a recent life change while hiking the Inca Trail or questioning your life decisions on a rocky bus in Greece while puking in your hat can actually be the best thing for you. (True stories of mine).

img_1432

You can’t afford to take a risk right now

Well, there’s never really a good time to take a risk as a risk is the process of taking a chance with no guaranteed outcome. If life were guaranteed – it would be boring. If you’d rather wait until there’s a good time to take a risk . . . then get used to being stuck right where you are today. No risk, no reward.

I  have no one to travel with

So what? I have traveled to 22 countries by myself. I was only alone when I wanted to be – there are so many opportunities to make friends on the road. I have met so many cool people from all over the world, and I know I would have never met them if I had someone from home traveling with me. In my opinion, if you have to get your strength and confidence to travel from someone else – then good luck in life.

img_1429

It’s not a good time to leave in this economy

There will always be unemployment; there will always be debt. Escaping a bad economy and lying low in a country with a cheap cost of living could actually be a life saver. It’s much easier to be unemployed in Vietnam than it is in New York City as the cost of simply living is vastly different.

And what if you are looking for a job – have you ever thought of making the most of it and hitting the road? That’s what I did when I was unexpectedly out of work. I traveled to South America and came back to find a job 100 times better than the one I left.

For everyone, a seemingly bad situation can end up being a blessing in disguise.

live-life-1

Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck

– Dalai Lama

• oh wow…travel is the only thing i swear by and it is my biggest learning…travel doesnt mean being rich necessarily but it just means making it one’s priority….very well written :)

• I believe if one truly wants to do something, they will find a way! We vacation about 4 times a year. WITH our children! Sure it may cost a bit more, but if you really want it, you just have to eat chicken instead of steak a few times … don’t shop for things you don’t need and clothes that will just hang in your closet! Turn off cable and use Netflix for $9 a month! There is so much to see in this world, I want to see it!! Good for you!

• Travel is such an awesome experience! As well, I wish that more people had a traveller’s mindset when they’re at home! There are so many awesome places and adventures in this world!!!

• Hey Alli! So true that your priorities are what you make them, and to people like us, traveling is tops. I get sooooo tired of people saying they don’t have the money, time, etc… then I watch them go out to eat 3-4 plus times a week and spend money on all sorts of things, then I think- of course you don’t have money to travel! Because you haven’t prioritized it over other things in your life! (and I don’t mean necessities). I also am a true believer in being able to travel with kids/family. My parents raised us traveling all over the world. They weren’t shy about taking babies anywhere they went (France for the summer… Caribbean for a few weeks on our boat.. Roatan Honduras on a scientific and dive expedition name it!) I know kids can (and will) slow us down, but I have every intention on bringing them along with me when I can so that they can receive the best education out there: experiencing the world!

• Hey Lindsay! Absolutely. Priorities are truly what you make them and are unique to every single person! Like you, I am annoyed how some people easily write off travel like it is an irresponsible hobby at my age or a waste of money. Traveling with children is something I have yet to envision myself doing one day. But again, simply having children is something I am on the fence about at this time. I completely admire how some parents expose their children to travel and learning about the world and its different cultures.

• So true! People ask me how I travel “all the time”.
    You make time, you make money, you make it HAPPEN, for whatever you really want.

What I really want is to travel! :)

• So true. I’m a 21 year old student and so far have travelled to 4 countries by myself with no troubles (apart from losing my backpack once ha). In the process I’ve met people who have become amazing friends from all over the world, and learned so much more about values and people than I could in a classroom. While uni peers have spent their summers doing internships, I’ve gone travelling. Some might call that lazy and unwise, but I think it’s such a more valuable experience. And I really take your point about the USA. People need to stop letting the news dominate their lives and end these irrational, almost bigoted ideas that the least developed countries are the most unsafe. I think parents are largely responsible for influencing such views – I’m pretty sure that my love of travel has come from being lucky to travel lots with my family as a child, with ma and pa’s encouraging views becoming instilled in me.

• Pingback: One Girl with a Backpack – Sexism and Travel | soleseeking

• Great counters to all of these excuses, Ali! So many dangers on the road are invented or overblown. As long as you’re traveling smart and keep safety in mind, you should be ok. Also, the whole “running away” thing is crazy! Travel really is running towards new experiences and novel interactions.

• This is so perfect! I agree with every single one of these. We think a lot a like. All my money goes into traveling and not stuff, and I love travelling alone. I feel like I am making the most of my life and not missing out on anything. Have you ever heard anyone say, “I went traveling … I really regret it”. No! No one ever has said that.

• I have argued these points myself for a long time now! Everyone always says I am so lucky to be travelling the world, or they wish they could do what I do, but when I answer there is absolutely nothing stopping them doing that, they throw up all these excuses and more.

• So true, Alli. There is nothing more to add.
    If people say “I can´t because…” they often mean “I don´t want to…”. This totally fits to this article too.
    (Like the quote from the Dalai Lama at the end of your post).

• Travel is like anything else – if you want to do it you will find a way! Everyone is different – perhaps the people making all the excuses don’t really want to travel.

• Great post – and so true! People with too many excuses to travel probably don’t really want to travel deep down – maybe because they’re too scared to, or because they’re too comfortable in their own life. Travellings not really for everyone – those who want to, make it happen!

• There are always 100s of excuses if you are afraid of doing something…That´s my version of reasons people could have – fears. Of everything mentioned above. The other one is priorities…some people always postpone the moment to start travelling…and unfortunately sometimes is too late to do it.

• I could not agree more with what you say. I definitely have little money, yet whatever penny I have, I save it to travel and give up other things – a new car, fancy clothes, dining out etc – to go travelling. I have been called a crazy nutter for having visited what are considered dangerous places – Honduras, Colombia… name them! Yet, wanna know something? The only place I have ever felt in danger was England!

• I really like what you said about people thinking there is a right and long way to live life. A lot of people try to talk ‘sense’ into me when I tell them I have no regard for the traditional lifestyle. Work. Home. Work. Repeat. I like to be free.
    But then… Throughout my teens and early 20s, I was the most ‘responsible’ while my friends partied away and had all sorts of fun. I thought I was being ‘morally superior’, but now they are all ready to settle down, having rid themselves of the wild streak. Me? I don’t even have the stories.
    But then, better late than never :) And I vow to make my irresponsible choices in my mid and late 20s ;) Thanks for this post!!

• People will never run out of excuses – plentiful and easy to make. Leaving a comfort zone is the hardest thing for many people to do, but once you do, it can become addicting. :)

• Awesome post Alli – and couldnt agree more with every point you make. When i talk of travelling everyone talks about the dangers etc yet here in London there are problems every day. The media can really hype it up to and for those that dont know decide to stay away, to what could be a fairly irrelevant issue to them. Looking forward to reading more ;)

• Thank you, Brad! I`m fortunate enough to say that I`ve never felt at danger once while traveling! Of course you can encounter sketchy people and areas but I`ve always been safe and sound ;)

• Dear Alli, this is such a great inspirational post. I never write these posts myself (too easy to fall into clichés!) but you’ve done an amazing job there, answering all the questions that non-travelling people tend to ask. I will direct my friends to your site once they start asking questions for the umpteenth time!

• I think life is short and it is what you make of it. If you are someone who is happy being at home with a house and a family, work towards that. If you would rather be on the road and traveling, you should pursue that! I don’t like what society expects of everyone, people should do what makes them happiest! Live without regrets.

• I also think that the excuses you gave are really the ultimate facts. We too sometime use these in our life but travelling help us to know more about different cultures and getting mix-up with other people.

Cheers