The Un-Glorified Rewards of Travel

The Un-Glorified Rewards of Travel

While we all daydream endlessly at work about our next journey, i.e. sampling French pastries in Paris, snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef, cuddling up cozy in a chalet within the Swiss Alps, we fail to remember the 5 special rewards that travel (which we all know and love) will bestow upon us.

Becoming Fat

Anyone out there who hasn’t felt heavier upon returning from a trip? Impossible for me, personally. There are so many incredible cuisines to try in all parts of the world – it is a colossal sin to avoid sampling culture cuisines.  Colossal. Our waistlines expand upon this adventurous indulgence, enabling us to take in more and more, and we get a little bit . . .  fat. Mmhmm, we do. Those pizzas in Italy are served whole, you know. Don’t pretend you can’t eat it all, I know you can. The pasta, the gelato, that giant pepper thing stuffed with spices and three different kinds of meat and four different kinds of cheese (insert beginning of Simpson’s theme here). This reward, of becoming a bit fat, is very special. It is a testament to all of the wonderful foods and unique dishes we have experienced and learned from. In time, after we have returned from our journey, our over the top food frenzy must fizzle to an end, and our waistlines shrink back to original size.

Traveler’s Diarrhea

With every budding love, there may be some compatibility issues. Unfortunately, we have no way of predicting which food will have incompatible aftereffects on our body. Traveler’s diarrhea can be hell on earth. Why is there never a toilet when you need one the most? However, since you may only be in these places once, and there is no real way to foresee any issues, you may as well dive in headfirst. You just have to be prepared with the right goods (some Pepto and Imodium) and set yourself free to a plethora of food love affairs!

Vomiting

What greater way to experience unique and delicious food than to see it for a second time! Not as pretty as you last remembered it? That’s okay. It just wasn’t meant to be a long time thing.

Gettin’ Dirty

I still have a plantar’s wart on the bottom of my foot from 2 years ago. I am almost certain that I acquired it from a campsite shower in Europe. I’ve tried removing it time and time again, but it is a stubborn bastard that won’t let go.  Who needs souvenirs when you have a literal reminder, a virus, rooted inches deep into your skin?

Catching the Travel Cold

The travel cold makes you cough, and ache, and sneeze, and shiver and sniffle. Tons of people who travel come into contact with this cold. It’s not enough to take you out for the day, nor is it unnoticeable. A very testing liaison indeed. When I encountered this cold in chilly Cusco, I warmed up with soft and fuzzy Alpaca socks, scarves, and sweaters. Now, in the trying Canadian winter, I am warding off cold after cold with my cozy Peruvian attire! A perfect example of one of those bad relationships that you learn from.

“It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves – in finding themselves.” – Andre Gide

Disclaimer: My plantar’s wart has long been successfully removed after writing this post.

• Thanks for liking my blog. Your travel writing is quite entertaining, and I love all these old pictures! It’s so true about trying the food (and drinks), but one of the best reasons for travel. One of the most noticeable things about food in every place that I have been is how fresh it is compared to what’s available in the US.

• My God!! You just helped me feel good. I came back 2 kgs more from a recent trip to France & UK, despite all the walking there. Hit the gym and have been able to shed only 1 kg so far. Now I know it happens to many others. And yes, I agree on the ‘colossal’ part. We can’t come back from a country ignorant how/what they eat. Sin

• I am an obsessive sight-seer, so I usually end up losing weight on vacation by walking 10-12 miles a day, whether exploring a city or hiking the countryside (a nice change from spending 12 hrs in the office munching non-stop). And I think the key to avoiding other ailments is drinking lots of booze, to neutralize anything that would make you sick :)

• “This reward, of becoming a bit fat, is very special.” I love this line! My absolute favorite thing about traveling is sampling the local cuisine (as much as possible!). Living in Germany, this practice has my jeans quaking in fear that the next schnitzel may burst their seams!

• Pingback: Paleo Kartofflepuffers! | Leap

• Haha so true! My massive blister from 2 months ago is STILL healing! And I had the cold of death when I came home which meant my ears did t pop when I landed ( so painful) and took 2 days to feel back to normal. The things we do for travel…

• That has happened to me too! (The ears not popping when landing because of a cold of death) It really is a terrible feeling. Just one of many unpleasant side effects that come with traveling :)

• This post made me laugh! especially when you said ‘What greater way to experience unique and delicious food than to see it for a second time!’ hahaha so funny! I feel your pain for the wart, the same happened to me, and I had it surgically removed, and was in crutches for 6 weeks afterwards… not fun. I hope yours is not that bad!

• For me, the worst was getting the dreaded Noro virus on board a cruise ship a few years back. It was actually a “famous” outbreak, as it was well broadcast on the news back at home….I’m not sure how it spread so quickly, but I was sick with it! Thankfully, it was on the very last day of our cruise, and I wasn’t feeling the symptoms by the time we were set to fly home. So, it didn’t really affect our travel plans too much. I would have to say…..I do not recommend ever getting Noro virus to anyone, if you’ve ever had it, you’ll know how awful it is!

• That sounds so awful. If you did have to get it though, I am glad that it was on your very last day so you could still make the most of your travels and sight seeing! But being sick on a long journey home is just so terrible, on the other hand. That happened to me on my way home from Egypt and I sill try and repress those awful memories. Travel still makes it worth it, though!

• Haha love this! Even though Eat, Pray, Love gets some negative criticism, I love the part when she says they’re gonna continue eating and go buy some bigger pants…because really what’s the point if you can’t enjoy where you are, food and all?

• Thanks for sharing this with us Alli! Now I have the perfect evidence to show Heather when she asks how I get those dreaded plantar warts on my feet – because I am an avid traveler!! If you don’t gain a couple of pounds when you travel, you are clearly not maximizing the local delicacies especially when you go to spots that have amazing desserts.

• I meet these people all the time that say ‘ I love to travel, i just lose so much weight’. Whaaaat? Are you even trying to indulge in the local food at all. I know that a decent bout of gastro can help you shed some pounds – but I don’t think that’s what they are referring to.
    Oh well I’m happy to do my part – get fat – and love every minute of it.