Thank you, Amy, Jenny and Claire who have all nominated me for a Liebster Blog Award! I had never ever heard of this award until I was nominated yesterday afternoon. German for “favourite,” I was very flattered and excited to learn that it is an award for recognizing fellow bloggers in the blogging community! Along with all the fun in being nominated and discovering awesome blogs, the award comes with some simple homework:
- Share 11 random facts about yourself
- Answer the 11 questions from the person who nominated you
- Nominate 11 new bloggers and ask them 11 questions
My Random Facts:
- Sometimes I get so excited that people think I’m joking and exaggerating, but I’m not. I’m actually that hyper and excited.
- I can quote every line to Dumb and Dumber and Ace Ventura.
- I spent lots of my childhood causing mischief.
- I have broken a bone too many times to count.
- I hid my chicken pox in grade 3 in order to go to school and partake in Pioneer Day. I infected half the class. They had to get it some time, right?
- After seeing Toy Story for the first time, I would hide outside my bedroom door and listen for my toys coming to life and talking to each other.
- I still dot my I’s with hearts.
- I think the cutest animal ever is a baby elephant.
- I sing Christmas carols all year round.
- I can be very sneaky.
- I will go slightly out of my way to step on a crunchy looking leaf.
My 11 Answers for Amy:
- If something could stop you travelling, what would it be?
I sat and thought about this for a long time, and the only answers I could come up with are ones that I really don’t want to come true. So my answer will be that wild horses couldn’t drag my travel bug from me.
- If you had to choose one country and stay there, where would you pick?
I would choose Australia because a) I really want to travel all around Australia, and b) It’s so much closer to Asia and there are so many Asian countries I want to travel to.
- What is the strangest thing you have seen whilst travelling?
A live sex show in Amsterdam.
- If you could re-live one day of your travels, which would it be?
Dubrovnik – having dinner at an amazing seafood restaurant right on the shore as the sun set. So enchantingly beautiful.
- Have you met someone on your travels that really made an impact on you/your life? Who and where?
My guide in Peru – Gaby. After she met and fell in love with a fellow traveler on my Peru trip, she reinforced my way of believing that life has a way of working itself it out when you least expect it.
- Have you ever been arrested whilst travelling? Or had a major misunderstanding? Please share!
Thankfully I have never been in legal trouble in another country! I have had an incident with the Egyptian authorities, though. After knowing very well that photos inside Abu Simbel were absolutely forbidden, I snapped a few shots anyways. The guard caught me and asked for my entire memory card. I pretended I didn’t notice him right in my face and I acted really enthralled and preoccupied in my surroundings. Eventually, he just gave up and walked away. Phew! No way am I letting him take my memory card full of photos away from me.
- What has been your most terrifying experience?
I haven’t been in many frightening situations during my travels, which I’m grateful for. I have been very nervous hearing gun shots in the middle of the night in Rio, walking alone in Athens during the riots, cat called and having my ass squeezed in Cairo, and but I have never felt in danger.
- Whether you ever make it there or not, where in the world would you most like to go?
JAPAN. Ohhh, Japan. One day.
- What got you travelling in the first place?
Going to University in the same city I was born, raised, and currently living. Needed to break free! Experience the unknown. And I did (and am doing) just that.
- Which of your personal attributes comes in most handy when you are on the road?
I am very down-to-earth and natural. I require hardly any “getting ready” time and love appreciating every moment I am in a new culture.
- If you were a cartoon character, who would you be and why?
Carmen Sandiego. She travels all over the world and is very sneaky. (I was also her for Halloween once)
My 11 Answers for Jenny:
- Which is the weirdest food you’ve tried when travelling?
Guinea pig in Peru
- Which book has inspired you to travel?
The Lost Girls. Buying a RTW ticket is my dream.
- Do you have a favourite song you listen to when travelling?
Super Base by Nicki Minaj.. It’s my take-off song for my flights.
- What is the first thing you do when you return home?
Walk around aimlessly. Soon I will shower followed by a long nap.
- If you could pick one country that you could visit the way it was 100 years ago, which one would it be and why?
France. I’d love to experience the old, classic Parisian lifestyle.
- If you had to live in a decade other than this one, which one would it be, and why?
The 1950’s. I love vintage and retro everything, from clothes, to music, to cars, etc.
- If you could visit one fictional place, which one would it be?
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
- What is your biggest travel faux-pas?
Packing too many dresses.
- Which food do you miss most when travelling?
I miss milk! And also clean water that I don’t have to pay for.
- What was your scariest travel experience so far?
Probably hearing nighttime gun shots in Rio.
- Who was the most interesting person you’ve ever met travelling and why?
My Peru guide – Gaby. She was so heart and soul Peruvian and I learned a lot from her.
My 11 Answers for Claire:
1. Writing or reading?
Too tough to choose. I love both!
2. Why blogging?
It’s my fun way of sharing my travel experiences and my writing with others.
3. If you could be anywhere right now, where would you be and why?
In New Zealand, because I am leaving in 3 weeks and can’t wait any longer. Also, I wish I had more time to visit the North island as well.
4. Best way to relax?
Hot yoga followed by a bubble bath.
5. What makes you happy?
Travel…. everything to do with travel.
6. Favourite band/singer?
Florence and the Machine.
7. Drink of choice?
Green tea and strawberry banana smoothies with extra banana.
8. Is there any gadget you couldn’t live without?
9. Which memory do you treasure most?
Spending every New Years Eve with my grandma as I was growing up
10. What inspires you?
Books, and other people’s blogs can be very inspiring I’ve found.
11. What do you hope to be doing in 5 years time?
Reading over my “Dreams” list of places I want to visit before I’m 30 and have taken a giant chunk out of it!
My 11 Questions for my Nominees:
- What is your favourite part upon returning home after your travels?
- What was the funniest thing you have ever seen while traveling?
- Do you prefer traveling alone or with some company?
- What are the best and worst foods you’ve had while traveling overseas?
- Have you ever had a romantic encounter abroad?
- What is a moment you were absolutely speechless because of the sight in front of you?
- Have you ever been really embarrassed or misunderstood while traveling?
- Have you ever participated in a cultural festival in a particular country? If no, which one would you like to be a part of?
- Do you speak any other languages? If no, which ones would you want to learn?
- What is your biggest travel faux-pas?
- What are some of your unique quirks that either help or hinder you on your travels?
My 11 Nominees:
- Tricia: Sharing tales of People, Places & Passion
- Emily: Emily’s Journeys Abroad
- Louise: Louise. Emerging
- Terri & James: Gallivance
- Dayna: Where in the World is Dayna
- Debbi: Wanderlust
- Kara: KaraAnne DeJose
- Nic: Cured by Bacon
- Steve: Around the World with Steve
- Ayanna & Nick: The Harrises of Chicago
- Bee: It’s a BEEautiful Life