While in Istanbul I decided to take to the time-honoured tradition of the Hamam (steam bath house) and get scrubbed down on heated marble stones. Since these hairy Turkish Bath men didn’t speak a word of English, a spank or a grunt was used for communicating what they wanted us to do or where they wanted us to go. I honestly wasn’t too sure what to expect going in, but I certainly did not expect this:
1. Sit in cave sauna for 20 minutes in your bathing suit. Slippers/shoes are provided for you.
2. A huge hairy man with a big belly and towel around his waist scrubs you very vigorously with a big scrubby.
3. Lay down on giant marble block.
4. Foam is lathered a ridiculously insane amount and massaged over every inch of your body.
5. Get spanked, and flip sides.
6. Rinse (giant bucket of water poured over your head).
7. More foam massaged over entire head and even face. Remember to close your mouth!
9. Dry off by having your head and hair wrapped up in a towel.
10. Oil massage, with another loud spank here and there.
An experience I know I will never forget. How could anyone forget getting one of these! Was it relaxing? No. Was it funny? Oh yeah. I laughed so much throughout the whole process, and it did feel really good afterwards, as all the dead skin was completely scrubbed away. My skin was the smoothest and softest it had ever felt, and I slept really good that night.